Wednesday, November 26, 2008

CCK08 Now that you asked..

The CCK08 MOOC experience has been fascinating - 2400 educators, academics and others all participating in a "course" expecting to learn something. I don't know what I expected to learn, but it sounded interesting. The facilitators, guest presenters and learners included the who's who of online teaching and learning. How bad could it be?

So here we are coming to the end of this great adventure, and we are asked for feedback. Lots of talk about metrics and qualitative evaluations, but what applies?

Well, it turns out, by my reckoning, just about everything. I hauled out my trusty Course Evaluation Checklist. If it is appropriate for guiding faculty participating in my Technology Supported Learning workshop, it should have the depth and breadth to assess the Connectivism course.

The checklist is actually two sets of questions to review undergraduate education courses and the technology used in their delivery.

Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education

All the questions could be answered with good examples from the CCK08 course. Everything was addressed in an exemplary fashion. I know you are supposed to find some areas where you, the reviewer, can make some constructive suggestions for improvement. Darn, I couldn't think of any. I'm sure there must be some, but nothing jumped out as an opportunity for teaching moment.


Learning Environment Technology Considerations

The second set of questions deals specifically with the use of technology in teaching and learning. If there are any weaknesses, they are in the basic assumptions behind the evaluation questions. Some of these notions are down-right quaint. The respect for course management is so last week.

So the Course Evaluation Checklist severed a useful purpose, just not what I expected. Instead of suggesting some areas of improvement for the CCK08 course, I have work to do. I need to go back and update the checklist and my faculty development workshop. I'm open to suggestions.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment